Have you ever seen someone smile and their teeth were so white and it seemed impossible? If you ever wondered if you could get a white smile like that yourself and show it off with pride? If yes, it is very possible and there is a solution for that and it is called professional teeth whitening with your dentist. This simple and painless procedure at a dental office guarantees you a bright white smile in just a few sessions. Having a beautiful white smile can change your mood, relieve stress, and can guarantee to have you always smiling at everyone. So if that’s something that you are interested in then there are few different options that are available when it comes to teeth whitening, the quickest and the safest way is in-office teeth whitening with your local dentist or your family dentist.
What Can Cause Your Teeth To Stain?
There are a few factors that can result in your teeth getting darker or yellow. Here are the most common staining elements that might result in needing to get your teeth whitened:
- Coffee, red wine, tea, and other dark liquids- contain pigments that penetrate the enamel and cause your teeth to get darker.
- Smoking tobacco- the tar in the tobacco is naturally dark, which stains your teeth especially if you’re a heavy smoker. Smoking tobacco will not only discolor your teeth but it can also lead to tooth loss.
- Medications- antibiotics like tetracycline can cause discoloration especially when young children use it while their teeth are developing.
- Aging- as you age your enamel will thin out, and that can easily cause discoloration.
- Injury-injuries like broken jaws cause trauma which will cause the teeth to get darker.
How Does the Teeth Whitening Process Work And What Is The Cost?
If you know that you want to get your teeth whitened then you will need to consult with your dentist first. Your dentist will come up with the best options that will give you great results and avoid complications. Professional teeth whitening can be done in only about an hour in the dentist’s office. The teeth whitening procedure will involve an application of a tooth whitening gel that contains 25% to 40% hydrogen peroxide. The gel and a special heating lamp will be used to whiten your teeth. Some dentists might also use a laser instead of a heating lamp which can accelerate the whitening process. Your dentist will also give you a protective barrier that will help keep your gums, tongue, and lips away from the gel. For best results, your dentist will also give you whitening trays that fit your teeth so you can follow up at home and keep your teeth white. You can also purchase either whitening strips or whitening toothpaste to help keep up on the treatment. The cost of teeth whitening treatment can cost anywhere between $500 for the office treatment and $400 for the custom trays that you take home with you.